Friday, July 20, 2012

Bank of America is stealing my home and I don't know what to do about it. I know you have all heard this story a million times, I don't know how different mine is, but I'm going to tell it.  I think the Banks take advantage of the fact that most people keep their financial lives private, and their "failures" even more private.  I'm "banking" on going public to help not only my situation, but others as well.

We are not your ordinary family of four.  We have two sons, one is autistic (*yes a disabled child*) and our elderly parents live with us as well, extending the family unit to six people in our house.  Three years ago I lost my job, it took about six months, but I was able to find one that pays half what I used to make.  We continued to pay all our debts and obligations including our Bank of America Mortgage payments for another year until we could no longer keep up and we had to file for bankruptcy.  During the bankruptcy and debt counseling we decided it would be best to go for a home loan modification to reduce our Bank of America mortgage, rather than giving up our home.  However, we had to wait for the bankruptcy to clear before Bank of America would talk to us.  We also had to stop paying our mortgage to Bank of America.  If you continue to pay Bank of America they think you do not need a modification and they do not return your calls.  That was in November of 2010.

We started the home loan modification process with Bank of America even before our bankruptcy, but we had to wait.  We filled in all the paper work that B of A requested we fill in.  We faxed it, we Fed-Ex'd it and we emailed it.  Every possible venue, over 30 pages, each with our loan number on it.  We were then told that we did not qualify because we had not completed or sent in the paperwork.  We did in fact do all this work, but Bank of America wanted us on their home loan modification program, not the government buy-down program.  They conveniently lost all of our paper work repeatedly.  We know this to be true because they admitted to loosing the paper work and then started the entire process over again.

We have sent in every piece of paper that Bank of America has asked of us, on time every time.  Yet we continued to get notices saying we did not qualify because we had not sent in the paper work.  Our account manager changed on us several times.  We have every fax receipt we have ever sent with the total number of pages.  The last time B of A asked for our paperwork it was for a letter of explanation on how the company paying my contract fees wasn't owned by me.  This is the equivalent of asking a government contractor receiving a 1099 if they own the government.   They asked for a letter of explanation on why we didn't have rent on the other house they foreclosed on the previous year, and asked us to produce foreclosure documentation they never sent us.  But that's not even the worst of what they have done to us.

Most recently we were working with an account manager who after 5 phones calls and a call to her supervisor would return our phone calls.  She kept telling us that she was not allowed to send us anything in writing (identity fraud concerns), but that she could tell us over the phone that the house was NOT in default.  We expressed concern over getting contacted from the foreclosure - prevention division because our house had gone to "foreclosure".  Our account manager Rica Warweg assured us that we were not in foreclosure and that all communications should go through her.  Our loan was with the negotiator and all documents were finally complete and in review.  We called repeatedly as the foreclosure prevention representative was hard selling us to take the Bank of America option to short sell our house.  Ami espoused the benefits of the B of A program by saying they would offer relocation assistance between $5k to $30k and waiving all penalties and late fees.  She said the government program was too hard and too long, and only sent us information via mail about the B of A option.

Rica asked us to forward the information to her, and she also advised us that if we listed the house for the Bank of America short sale program we would no longer qualify for the home loan modification program.  After 2 years of resending paperwork over 15 times to Bank of America and finally getting the documents with a negotiator there was no way we were going to jeopardize our chance on the loan modification.  We have every reason to believe we would qualify, we are both employed and make enough money to support a mortgage over $2k/month.  Rica assured us that if the house went to foreclosure that would have to be coordinated through her.  We were relieved to hear it, even if she would not put that in writing.

We had no choice but to let the Bank of America short sale option pass, because we want more than anything to keep our home.  That has been the goal of this process for over two years.  The day after the short sale option passed we got a form letter from Rica saying our house is in foreclosure with a demand letter.  We immediately called the bank to find out what was going on.  Only to have our calls transferred to a new account manager, Ms. Tamarra Coldwell.  We have called her more than 10 times this week and still have not had a single call back.  There has been no explanation as to what happened to Rica, or our paperwork.

Today we receive registered letters saying we have 90 days to pay our entire mortgage or it will go to foreclosure.  We have done nothing but respond, reply, fax, email, write and answer every request that Bank of America has ever asked us.  In return they have repeatedly lost our paperwork and refused to work with us.  They are now stealing our home.  As a mother of two young boys, I need to know if I am going to be locked out of my house.  I have to find a place to live, we have to get movers, we have to plan.  This will also make two elderly parents homeless, not to mention my family, including an autistic child for whom this kind of transition will be hugely damaging.  We have done everything we can to protect our family from the affects of the Bank of America, but one of my sons saw his mother crying when she opened the registered letter and wanted to know why I was so upset.  I lied and said "I stubbed my toe" quickly cleared my tears and started to look for help.  My mother suggested I post a tweet, which is an excellent idea, but I had much much more to say.  I am going to publish this and reach out to as many media sites as I can.
 
I cannot begin to tell you what kind of emotional hardship this has caused on a family that already has its share of challenges with a ten year old autistic boy and disabled parents.  We have worked hard for 30 years, paid taxes, been law abiding ethical and moral citizens.  We believe in family and responsibility, the behavior of Bank of America towards us is unconscionable.  All we have ever wanted was a fair mortgage considering the market and our financial situation.


-Joy Hanawa
July 20, 2012


16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not American. I read this and was moved. The only thing I can do is to send you my compassion and to beg God to protect your family from being homeless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for that failure, just continue your life. Things will get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there and done all of this too Joy. Working with BoA has been the worst single experience of our lives. We also have a special needs son (13 years old), and have experienced pay cuts and job loss too.

    All we wanted was a simple modification from almost 7% to a normal rate, nothing else, since we were left unable to refinance thanks to Countrywide's inflated appraisal of our home. We were a Countrywide loan and have found fraud a few times over on our application and closing documents. We have been "robosigned" two times as well. Were you a Countrywide loan also?

    We have been passed around, documents lost, time goes by and then they say it's been to long and we have to start over. We've been trying to obtain a mod for 5 YEARS! We've had so many "managers" we've lost count, but in the last 2 years we have had 6. We've been to a housing counselor, 3 attorneys, and non-profit events. We've even got our senator's office involved now. I got a response from the Twitter rep and then that was it. Nothing. Of course I shouldn't be surprised because this is typical BoA.

    If you want to fight the fight, I suggest going to www.beingmiddleclass.org My user name is NJfam to read our story. We are all just homeowners helping each other, no ads or referrals to services like other forums I've been on.

    I really feel for you because I know how hard this is on a family, a marriage, a life. I have followed you on twitter and hope that this works out for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In order to gain full information on the property buying process, the housing associations can be a great option.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bank of America is stealing my home and I don't know what to do about it. I know you have all heard this story a million times, I don't know how different mine is, but I'm going to tell it. I think the Banks take advantage of the fact that most people keep their financial lives private,
    loan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joy, I know there are certain companies that can help you regarding your issues with the bank of America. This site could help you out. Click Here

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog I found to be very interesting!
    I just came across your blog and wanted to
    drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
    the information you have posted here.
    I have a mortgage loan modification california
    site.
    Come and check it out if you get time :-)
    Best regards!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When federal financial aid is insufficient, or education expenses exist outside of the coverage of federal student loans, private student loans can be used to "fill in the gaps" between federal financial aid and the full cost of education. paydayloan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really feel for you because I know how hard this is on a family, a marriage, a life. I have followed you on twitter and hope that this works out for both of us. Title Loans Utah

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really feel for you because I know how hard this is on a family, a marriage, a life. I have followed you on twitter and hope that this works out for both of us. Title Loans Utah

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are many choices available to property owners that are experiencing a property foreclosure. House property foreclosure help web websites provide useful information about how to avoid property foreclosure and choices that you may have available to quit property foreclosure of your house.
    security deposit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! Its nice post and i like such informative post.I want to share a link of a well known site that is Man and van.This is a company of house relocation and it provides best house relocation services.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unfortunately, we are in the same boat. One steered by BOA and their dishonesty. When we refied back two years ago through Quiken... afew months later we were horrified to see BOA was our servicer. Our horrors have come tru with the loss of a job and the resulting financial difficulties. Now the bullying by BOA.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I AM A GROWN MAN - SO HAPPILY MARRIED THAT OTHERS THINK WE JUST MET - MY HEART ACHES FOR YOUR DEAR FAMILY - I AM IN TEARS AND HERE I SIT READING EVERYTHING AS IT SHINES LIKE A MIRROR IMAGE OF EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO US. WHILE I CAN'T HELP FROM A LEGAL OR FINANCIAL STANDPOINT, I AM SENDING POSITIVE ENERGY THROUGH THIS KEYBOARD AND PRAY THAT THE FUTURE FOR ALL OF YOU IS FILLED WITH HEALTH, HAPPINESS, PROSPERITY, AND THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO KICK THE LIVING !@$#!@%#$ OUT OF THIS DIRT BAGS. I WILL STOP NOW AND WIPE MY TEARS.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been dealing with the same issue. I went through 3 "advocates" in 2 weeks before the one that helped me into foreclosure. Now, even with the assistance of a legal group BOA is trying to steal my house. WITHOUT ANY PAPERWORK sent to me, they have placed my house up for sale. Even their own attorneys group didn't know my house was listed. I saw sue for mental anguish. I don't have a child with disabilities but I surely do think they need a class action suit to bring them down

    ReplyDelete

Please post a comment if you think it will help me get the attention I need from Bank of America to resolve this.